Photo from Esthetica Magazine
I just returned from working with the Cutler Salon team for NYFW. One of the looks we created was for a jewelry designer that I adore, Dannijo. Rodney Cutler, who is an incredibly talented and down to earth hairdresser, was inspired by the sisters’ passion and vision for this Spring/Summer collection and wanted to compliment the rustic, yet picturesque , travel-themed presentation. His vision was to bring to life a natural, Mongolian feel, so we created fishtails that journeyed onto a polished pony.
What I enjoyed most about this look is the wearability of this hairstyle. You only need a few tools and the how to create a bump free ponytail and fishtail braid. I have two videos I created for you that can help you with that!
- Begin styling with dry, straightened hair.
- Pull hair back into a sleek ponytail using a fine bristle brush. Secure the hair on the back of the head, so that it is parallel to the middle of the ear. Use a thin elastic to secure. (Check out my how-to video for getting the perfect bump-free ponytail)
- Depending on hair thickness, work a dime to quarter size dollop of Redken Velvet Gelatine 07 – Cushioning Blow Dry Gel into the first 4-5 inches of hair below the ponytail.
- Weave into a tight, smooth fishtail braid. To create a fishtail separate the hair into two sections and cross small strands over each other, towards the opposite section. (Check out my how-to video on doing fishtail braids)
- After braiding this portion of the hair, secure with an additional hair tie and allow the bottom of the hair to hang.
- After secured, use a 1-2” flat iron to straighten the unbraided hair for a sleek ponytail.
- Finish off by spraying Redken Fashion Work 12 – Versatile Working Spray to tackle any flyaways.
What do you think of this look? Where would you wear it? Which piece of jewelry is your favorite?